Thursday 25 September 2014

Yoko Saito's Mystery Quilt - 50 Variations

At the 20th European Patchwork Meeting in Alsace, France, Quiltmania presented an exhibition called "50 Variations of Yoko Saito's Mystery Quilt", which was published in Quiltmania magazine during 2012. The original quilt was displayed amongst the reproductions or variations of this appliqué masterpiece as well as one entry which is a miniature version. I only had a very short time to take these photos, so apologise that I did not have time to take a photo of each one, or record the maker of each quilt. I have started my own version of this quilt during 2012, so to see all these wonderful quilts in one place was just amazing. I do hope you all enjoy seeing how different each one is:

The Original Mystery Quilt







by Anneke Bos



















This one by Toussein Martine:



and this is the miniature version by Michele Armanet, France


Miniature mystery quilt, only 58cm x 69cm








I hope anyone contemplating making one of these will have plenty of inspiration above. If anyone knows the maker of any of the above quilts, please contact me and I will happily add their details to their quilt.


17 comments:

  1. Hi Annelize, what a nice surprise to see my quilt (the 5th quilt, the one with the light blue border with stipples) on your blogspot. I was not able to visit the exhibition, so it was lovely to see all the different variations on your site!!
    My name is Anneke Bos and I live in a village called Epe, the Netherlands. I hope to see all the quilts in Madrid in October!
    Kindest regards,
    Anneke

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am so glad you found this Anneke, the exhibition was amazing, so many people were commenting on them, it was hard to get in a position to take photos! I will add your name to your quilt. Enjoy the show in Madrid :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hallo, i am glad That i found my quilt on your website! I made the Brown one with the horses in the middle. I wanted to add something off my life in my quilt. My dogs and horses,so i did not follow the pattern. Thank you very much. My name is Toussein Martine,i am from Belgium,knokkeheist. tousseinmartine@hotmail.com..thank you again

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hallo.i am glad That i found my quilt on your website. I made the Brown one with the horses in the middle. I wanted to put something off my life in it ,so the dogs and horses ..i did not follow the pattern,i made it my way. Thank,you for the picture on your blog. My name is Toussein Martine,i life in Belgium. tousseinmartine@hotmail.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is so lovely to get feedback from the quilt maker! Thank you for letting me know, I have added your name to your quilt. I have only done 2 blocks so far, got distracted by other projects, but I do hope to add some personal touches to my version too :-)

      Delete
    2. We have always more ideas than time! For the moment i am making another quilt with houses from lynette ,quilt my design ,BOM quilt 2015. But i started also a lifetree and a tree from Ségolène sweitzer

      Delete
    3. So as you can see, you are not alone That have so many projects started,but one day they will be finished

      Delete
  5. I just love these blocks. Is there a way I can buy a copy of the instructions for them? Are they available in the US?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hallo, If you find Some one who has the quiltmania s of two years ago. It was block of the month then. I hope you find it. On the website of quiltmania there was also the whole kit. In europe, i don t know in the USA.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I checked, you can still buy the pattern on quiltmania France. It s a kit from 2012!

    ReplyDelete
  8. These are so lovely. I am inspired to look for pattern, too. The variations are so personal and original. Very, very nice.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Che meraviglia.....non so cosa altro dire......sono sorpresa,incantata,desiderosa di provare questo lavoro......grazie Silvana Italia

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thank you so much for sharing all these beautiful variations. I am still trying to decide how to finish my version

    ReplyDelete
  11. These patterns are very hard to come by in Australia. Does anyone have the series to sell ?

    ReplyDelete
  12. Does anyone have the patterns. Very hard to find in Australia

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hello!
    Could you help me getting the patterns of this quilt? I do like them and I do not know where to get them.
    Thank you so much!!
    Conchi.

    ReplyDelete